Friday, June 29, 2007

Damn It!

Today we are going to make the big push east. We got some sleep, ate breakfast and hit the road. Obviously Mother Nature was just getting warmed up as the clouds were black, the rain was heavy and the winds were big. We got about an hour outside Amarillo when the RV stalled again. We coasted on to the shoulder and I attempted to crank the engine…nothing. Again…nothing! Outside the storm is raging and the rain is coming down in torrents. My wife asked me if there are any lights glowing on the dash and I said yes the service engine soon light is on. She reminded me that Mr. Stratkus asked that same question when we brought the RV to his shop. I finally got it cranked up and we obviously had no choice but to limp slowly along until we got to an exit with a service plaza or something. We got to Shamrock, Texas and I filled up with gas and added some oil as we were a quart low. Whatever we did corrected the warning light problem as the Turd fired right up and the service engine soon light went off. Surprisingly enough we encountered no more problems with the RV for the remainder of the day. We continued to jump onto Route 66 every chance we got, even visiting the Route 66 National Museum in Elk City, Oklahoma.

Now earlier, on our way out to the Grand Canyon, I commented on the state of the roads in Oklahoma and Arkansas, comparing them unfavorably with the roads in some third world countries. After traveling back through those states today and in light of some of the nasty emails I have received from native Arkansans and Oklahomans, I would like to recant my earlier statement. In hindsight, I realize that comparing the stretch of I-40 in Oklahoma and Arkansas to that of a third world country would be tremendously unfair to those third work countries. But I will say this; everyone in Oklahoma City should get out their pens & their best stationary and write a sincere note of thanks to the great people of Nashville, Tennessee. For if it were not for Nashville, Oklahoma City would easily have the worst stretch interstate in the country. Anyway, after a long drive we made it to the Fort Smith, Arkansas KOA where we were summarily told that the lady screwed up our reservations and the only site they had available did not have a septic station. Initially I was upset at this notion, but I quickly calmed down after recalling the fecal fountain debacle in Albuquerque. I took this new development as a sign from God, that he really was watching and that he too had finally seen enough.

No comments: