Friday, June 1, 2007

The Journey is More Important Than the Destination

I have never been one to believe in omens or in signs, but after the last couple of weeks I would be less than honest if I said I wasn’t seriously considering their possibility. As you know from previous posts, we started this great adventure from scratch, purchasing the RV and accessories in February and an old Jeep wrangler to tow behind it in March. While by in large we have been happy with the RV itself, the service we have received to date from the dealer has been spotty at best. Anyway, having purchased the “Turd” as a previously owned vehicle, there were a few minor odds and ends that needed to be fixed by the dealer. There was nothing big, just a few cosmetic and interior issues. The jeep was purchased from a kid in our town. The body is in good shape and the engine was checked our by a local mechanic.

To make a long story short, we took both vehicles to the dealership to have a tow package installed. After a week I called to inquire as to the status of the Jeep as I was taking my kids camping that weekend. The guy calls me back the next day to inform me that the Jeep was indeed ready and could be picked up at any time. Then he asks me if I had been by to pick up the RV because they can’t find it. You can imagine my concern as well as that of the guy at the dealership. He said it was probably a clerical error and he would get to the bottom of it and call me back ASAP. Of course I wasn’t worried as I immediately began recalling in my mind which one of those real high priced honeys they were going to have to give me as a replacement. Well they found the RV and I arranged to pick up both vehicles over the weekend. As a side note, this dealership is located across from a major NASCAR track and the weekend in question happened to be that of the big race.

When I got to the dealership to pay, the invoice was over a $1,000 more than what I was quoted. They apparently do not include labor when quoting out the door pricing. Anyway, once the bill was settled, I accompanied the service manager (the same guy who lost the RV) out to the lot to take possession of the new and improved “Turd”. When we got outside, the RV was sitting there with the motor running, glistening in the sun. The door was open just waiting for my arrival and inspection. The problem is that someone hit a golf ball through the passenger side windshield leaving a sizeable hole and a number of long cracks. I guess the dealership thought I wouldn’t notice or something. Rest assured, what ensued was an ass chewing of epic proportions. Now when I say epic, I mean in terms it’s of the size and the duration. So, as you can imagine, I left the RV there for the dealership and their newly ass-less service people to repair.

When we were leaving we went to get into the Jeep that had been there for a week. The problem was that magically neither door would open with the key or the handle, nor would it start and stay running. Now the thing worked perfectly up to the point I dropped it off at the dealership. However, keep in mind that this is the same dealership that both lost the RV and then upon finding it, used it for target practice on a driving range. Noting the problem we were having with the Jeep, the service manager sent the two guys over who worked on it. One of these guys looked like the 1950’s version of Don Knotts, while the other was the spitting of Cooter on old “The Dukes of Hazard”. These guys were as useful as boobs on a bull, although they were able to get the jeep running. No sooner had we gotten right in the middle of race traffic, did the Wrangler give out, stranding us in the middle of a bunch of sweaty, beer guzzling, race fans, who by the way were pissed off at us for taking up more than one parking spot along the road. It took AAA three hours to reach us and to tow the jeep to a dealership. A few days later, I was informed that it needed a new fuel pump. Then I was informed that the gas tank was the wrong one and needed to be replaced along with the fuel filter. Then I was told that someone had removed all of the linkage in both doors. Do you see a pattern developing here? Then I was told that it would need a new cam shaft, head cover and finally, mercifully, a new engine. All this drama and the trip hasn’t even started yet. So yesterday evening, as I was purchasing a new jeep from the dealership, the ass-less service manager at the RV place called me to say in his most cheerful voice that the “Turd” was ready to be picked up. They say that timing is everything.

Boy I love it when a plan comes together!

1 comment:

MaryL said...

I don't think they ever actually "lost" the Big Rolling Turd. I think they told that to you as a distraction while they were gutting your Jeep for parts. But just in case that wasn't enough they also cracked the windshield of the Turd as an additional distraction while you were departing the dealership. You were therefore no longer worried about the minor inconveniences with the Jeep as you were grateful to retain the use of the Big Turd for your journey. Apparently the distractions worked...you bought a new Jeep ;)