Friday, June 29, 2007

The Home Stretch

We left Fort Smith exactly at 9:00am and headed towards home. We weren’t really sure how far we would get or if the Turd would hold up. The weather cooperated for the most part and we had smooth sailing through Little Rock, Memphis and Jackson. We did however reach Nashville at 4:30pm, right at the beginning of rush hour. I have already made my comments about Nashville in an earlier post, but I have to reiterate how unbelievably horrible I-40 is through downtown. I don’t know if it is because Nashville is a main point of convergence for all of those interstates or that the infrastructure hasn’t kept pace with city growth or if it is just the sheer lunacy of the drivers on the road, but when you drive in Nashville you take your life in your hands. I guarantee you that all those NASCAR fans could save a whole lot of money, by not purchasing ticket to their favorite race and heading to Nashville. Bring your lounge chairs, some cold beer and fried chicken, spread out on any overpass and watch all of the crazy stunts that these drivers pull. You like the wrecks? Nashville’s got wrecks, a bunch of them…up and down I-40. I drove for 12 hours and it seems like 11 of them were in Nashville.

So we got through Arkansas and most of Tennessee without any problems with the Turd and without having to call my father-in law for our daily dose of RV advice. I would like to thank Larry for helping us through these often humorous though trying times. He has been a great help on this our maiden voyage and his support has proven invaluable. Larry, if you ever need my help on anything…like trying to figure out what that vent is for that is sticking out of the roof over the bathroom…I’ll be there for you. We made it to Pigeon Forge, Tennessee, to a campground at the foot of the Great Smokey Mountains. Pulling in to the campsite, it was dark and windy with a hint of thunder rumbling in the distance. As my wife got out of the Turd and went inside the camp office to register, I had one of those quiet moments that have been so rare on this trip. Sitting there in the dark RV, I thought about all of the things we as a family have experienced on this trip. As I allowed myself this brief respite I looked over at the campground office where my wife was completing the registration paperwork. Just above the door, spanning the entire roof line was a single word in glowing white neon…Jesus. I smiled warmly and retreated back to those warm, quiet thoughts. As my wife returned to the RV with our registration in hand, the silence was shattered by the shrieking sounds of the CO2 alarm. I looked again at my wife as she walked up to the door and then back to the neon Jesus on the office roof. I guess the big guy just wanted me to know he also has a sense of humor and no…he hasn’t seen enough just yet.

No comments: